Thread: Introducing pets..

Default Introducing pets..

Hi there,

I am bringing home a new puppy this weekend and I wanted to know the best way to introduce him to my 10 year old dog and cat! I know this isnt a housebreaking question, but any advice you have would be appreciated!

Thanks!

It really depends on the temperaments of your existing pets and how easily they tend to accept other animals... if they've responded well to canine visitors in the past, you can probably just march right in with the new puppy and have no problems. If you're concerned about your dog accepting the new puppy, generally, it's best to introduce them on neutral territory... I'll often take them for a walk together first, but since puppy probably isn't leash trained yet, I suspect that won't work!

The best rule with cats is to not let the puppy chase the cat at all... that's usually the foundation for a bad relationship between the two. I'd just hang out in a small room with the cat and the puppy, being sure to hold the puppy either in my lap or on a leash so he doesn't do anything foolish.

Usually a low key approach is best... don't try to force any of the animals to interact and be nice and relaxed when you're dealing with them and it should go fine.

If you have any specific concerns (like if your dog or cat has had aggression issues with new animals or if very fearful), this would be best done with the help of a professional trainer to be sure it all goes smoothly.

Good luck!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Default Introducing pets..

Thanks for the info! My pets are both very social and take well to other animals, so that shouldn't be an issue. I will definitely take a laid back approach and let them feel each other out!

Your website is great! So much helpful info..I will definitely be visiting often!