Thread: housebreaking during the the cold snowy night brrrr

Red face housebreaking during the the cold snowy night brrrr

Hi, I am bringing my puppy home on Saturday, she is an 8 week old miniture bull terrier and it is 7 years since I had a puppy. I love your site and would like to follow the housebreaking rules for teaching my pup to go outdoors. My question is that if I am to get up in the middle of the night to take my pup to the loo should we be braving the cold and snow to do it? I don't want to confuse her or freeze her. Or should I have an inside warm place during the night whilst it is cold? I also want her to use the front garden whilst she is little and staying in my room but when she is bigger and hanging out with my Jack Russell I want her to use the back yard and go toilet with the JR. Any advice is most welcome

Assuming the vet says it's okay, I'd be dragging my butt and my pup out into the cold at night, unless I wanted her to permanently have an indoor potty option.

A little puppy sweater would be a good idea and it can be helpful to contact the breeder to see if his/her dogs are particularly sensitive to the cold...

Having her use the front garden while she's little is fine IF you're okay with her still considering it a potty area when she gets older. If not, I'd make the trek to the back every time. Even if you decide to use the front for now, I'd at least take her out back sometimes so she gets used to the idea that it's also an acceptable area for pottying... you don't want to find out when she's older that she has an aversion to going anywhere but her designated potty area out front.

If you can, post a pic when you get her... I bet she's adorable!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Red face out into the cold we go

Hi Rebecca, thanks so much for your clear reply, so I guess we will drag our sorry butts out of bed at 4 am in the morning into the snow for our pee time LOL. The back yard is just such a long way from my bedroom that we may have to use the front at night and the back during the day. I will post a picture of Stella very soon, maybe a snowy 4am picture

Have a great weekend

Well, the good news is that those middle of the night trips should only be necessary for a couple of weeks...

Hang in there!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page

Default Stella is such a babe

Well just a quick update, the housebreaking is working beautifully, my adorable little pup is doing everything she should and not much she shouldn't. After a few nights of 3 and 5 am wake up calls she slept from 2.30 am through till 7. No crying in her crate, just pop her out for a wee and back into her crate. Posted some pictures. Fantastic site thank you so much
    Last edited by glambetty; December 15th, 2010 at 10:24 PM.

SO glad to hear that things are progressing well!! Keep up the good work!
    Rebecca