Thread: Seriously need help...

1. Default Seriously need help...

My new pup is an almost 12 week old miniature dachshund and overall she is doing amazing. Our potty training has gone really well we almost never have mistakes in the house and she has on her own already started asking to go out. She will easily go 4 hours during the day between let outs and she gets out a little more often than that.

Our major problem seems to be overnight. She CAN hold it all night long. I made the mistake of starting to let her out when she whined because my fiance can't handle hearing her whine and I thought that would solve the problem. It hasn't. She started waking up whining more often when she discovered it worked and now I need some solution that helps her and my fiance. He has never been an animal person and gets easily irritated with her when she whines in her crate (well anywhere really but she does it more in her crate). I tried crating her in another room when we brought her home but she would get really worked up. It was night 4 when we brought her crate into our room. It went well the first week but when I started working full time again she started whining more at night.

I know she's young and everything I've read says we should be good in another month, but I'm not sure my nerves can handle the strain of all the tension over this for another month, my fiance is stating he'll sleep on the couch until it's over...that seems like a crappy resolution.

I've thought about putting her in the garage, and I live in the country so her noise would be limited to bothering mostly us. Would this be acceptable? Would she really cry it out as it were and learn to be quiet if no one is there to respond in any negative or positive way?

There is a clock on her crate a blanket and we run a fan, toys and I've done shirts of mine in there and that doesn't last the night either...I am at my wits end on how to move her forward through this.
    Last edited by PLynneB; June 26th, 2012 at 06:23 AM.

Sorry to hear you're having overnight issues with your pup! Have you read "Surviving the Night with your New Puppy"? The alarm clock method I recommend in that article is a good way to take back the control of the overnight schedule now that your puppy has figured out she can gain control of the schedule by whining!

Putting her in an area where you can't hear her is another acceptable option, but it's not my favorite! I would do that only as a last resort, since it's much easier on the puppy to be able to sleep near her humans.

If this is causing a lot of stress for your fiance, he might benefit from a pair of earplugs or a white noise machine that would mask some of the whining during these early days of her puppyhood... I use white noise at night and it definitely keeps me from waking up to the pitter-patter of dog feet and jingling tags as my dogs move around the house at night!

Hope this helps!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

3. Default Seriously need help...

Thank you for the advice. What I decided to start trying was taking her for a walk before bed. That seems to have cut to the chase. If she is drained of energy really well before we go to bed it really does the trick. I can put her in her crate at 9:15p and she sleeps until 5:30am. Last night was the first time in a little over a week that she woke up and I am sure it has a lot to do with that it was too hot to go for a walk and her schedule was all screwed up from the holiday. If she keeps up I will implement the alarm clock method.

Glad to hear the exercise is helping... keep up the good work!!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page

5. Default Seriously need help...

lol ya know the only thing I didn't account for was how much more excersise she is going need as she gets older, last night I had to do a little running to get her drained in the same amount of time. I suppose it's a good way to get in shape for my pending wedding LOL.

Nothing like a puppy to get you movin'... sounds like the perfect pre-wedding workout program!

Congrats!
    Rebecca