Thread: Still housebreaking at 8mo

Default Still housebreaking at 8mo

Hello!

My name is Kacey, nice to meet you! I currently live with my parents (lets NOT get into THAT! ) and 8 months ago my mom got a puppy. A beautiful, happy ball of joy. She is a Shih-Tzu and her name it MeiLi (mei for short).

Mei picks up on things quite easily, despite the stereotype of her breed, but she is struggling immensely with potty training.

We've tried several tactics but none seem to work. I've talked both of my parents out of scolding her for eliminating in the house. (It really stuck with them when she started to be afraid to go in front of them.) We yell occasionally out of frustration. Usually the occasional, "UGH."

Mei has this crazy ability to hold it for hours on end. Even when we got her as a baby, she has NEVER wet her crate. Yay for no mess! Unfortunately, she also uses her ability when we WANT her to go. She gets many an opportunity to go outside, but she refuses to go. She'll even act like shes going to go, but then she stops and wants to go back in.

We usually keep her on a leash with us and we do not have a fenced in space for her, but we have tried hooking her up on a line outside. She tends to just lay down or eat bugs. She knows to ring the bell when she wants to go out, but she is most likely just using it to get our attention or to go out and play. We NEVER play or promote playing outside.

We tried treating RIGHT after she finished eliminating, but she ended up figuring out that we had the treats on us EVERYTIME so she would not concentrate on going, just on jumping on us and begging. That ended treating.

There are some instances when she will go outside, after holding it for hours on end, and she will go for what seems like forever. We are happy then, and praise her. She doesn't get excited in that instance, no idea why, and I look like a fool jumping and cheering for a dog who is completely uninterested. If I act like that inside the house, she's all over me with excitement.

Regardless of whether she potties inside or outside, she WILL inevitably go inside as well. After a long pee outside, she will come in and go AGAIN. If she does not pee outside, she will come in, run off and go before you can catch her. We keep her tied to our feet with the leash sometimes, but she cries and cries to go out, we let her out, she does not go. So we repeat that cycle every fifteen minutes.

We feel awful for keeping her in her crate for hours, but she just refuses to go outside. She knows we don't want her to go inside, and we praise her outside, but she doesn't seem to make the connection.

We all love her dearly, but Mom is at her wit's end and is starting to talk about getting rid of her. What can I do? She's my adorable little sister!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with Little Miss Mei! It sounds like some of the mistakes that were made in her training (harsh correction, correcting after the fact, using treats as a reward for going potty, allowing her too much freedom in the house) have her a little confused, so she'll just take a little longer than the average dog to become reliably housebroken.

Since she won't soil her crate, you should be able to resolve this issue by doing a standard crate training program along with consistent, vigilant umbilical cord training... this means NO unsupervised time in the house until further notice so we can get her out of the habit of going potty indoors.

You'll also benefit from reading The Ten Commandments of Housebreaking, paying special attention to Commandments 2, 5, 7 and 10!

So, there's no quick answer for resolving this... just gotta start over from scratch! Be patient and consistent, and even Miss Mei will end up housebroken!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!

Thanks for your tips I read the commandments and I stressed to my mother that she should read them too. She seems on board. I'll keep updating on her progress.

Since reading some of the tips on other posts last night, we've been trying to work with her today. We've let her out just about every hour, but she has yet to go. We're keeping her under constant supervision, but she is showing NO signs of having to do her business! She's also been fed and watered!

I talked Mom out of her "but she's old enough to know better" idea, I think. Here's hoping we can help Mei get it!

Glad to hear you guys are getting her started on the new program! Some dogs will, indeed, hold out for a loooong time before going potty when you're starting this training... the most important thing is that you're ULTRA vigilant to make sure she has NO opportunity to have an accident. We need to make sure that when she finally gives in and goes, it's definitely outside!

Good luck... I'm sending good housebreaking vibes!
    Rebecca
    Please help us to continue to provide this free source of housebreaking information by bookmarking our products page
    and buying your pet supplies through our product partners!